So around my family and friends I am known for my healthy juices and smoothies. I can make any person a juice or smoothie they are guaranteed to love! I even convinced my veggie + fruit hating mom to drink regular smoothies and she loves them! The trick? Make them taste like they AREN’T healthy! And it’s easier than you think.
I personally enjoy green smoothies with kale and spinach. But I know many people don’t. But I put kale and/or spinach in ALL of my recipes. It’s a quick, sure fire way to get those greens! And with my recipes, you can’t even tastes the leafy greens, but still reap all the benefits. What’s better than that?!
Here is my recipe for my healthy green smoothie:
- A handful (literally) of spinach
- 1 cup of almond milk – My favorite is Silk unsweetened almond milk, but any milk alternative works as well
- 1 heaping tablespoon of peanut butter (use natural, organic peanut butter with no added sugar – I use Smucker’s Organic Creamy Peanut Butter)
- 1 large green apple
- 1 large frozen banana
- 3/4 cup of vanilla greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon of honey (use local, raw honey)
- 1 teaspoon of wheatgrass powder (I buy mine at Wegman’s)
- 1 dash of cinnamon
- Wash the spinach and pick off the stems from the leaf, put all leaves in blender
- Pour the almond milk into the blender
- Blend just the spinach and the almond milk for about 2-3 minutes until no leafy chunks remain*
- Add the peanut butter, green apple, frozen banana, yogurt, honey, wheatgrass + cinnamon to the blender
- Blend for another minute or so until smooth
- Pour into a large glass and enjoy!
*The trick with making a smooth smoothie with things like kale and spinach, is to blend the greens and your liquid by themselves for almost 3 minutes (depending on the quality of your blender) until there are no chunks of greens in the blender. Then, add the remaining ingredients.
This recipe makes a pretty large serving. It can be shared between two people, or I like to have it as a meal replacement with a snack on the side.
Let me know if you guys try out the recipe and how you like it! I’ll be sharing more smoothie and juice recipes in the coming weeks, so be sure to follow my blog to read about those!